Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Abandon all hope, you who enter here

A thirteen year-old stabs her best friend near fatally. My brother's high school three blocks from my childhood house is closed due to a man seen with ammunition. This was tonight's broadcast in Victoria, BC, Canada.

Anderson Cooper had tornado's and flooding in one part of the US and severe droughts in another part.

The Globe & Mail reported that despite massive gains in our economy, 1 in 8 children live in families under the povery line, and according to the same article, the instances of poor children are the same now in 2007 as they were in 1989, the year Canadians supposedly resolved to drastically reduce the number of poor children in Canada by 2000.

The likelihood of achieving anything close to the much-hyped Millennium Development Goals...

Meanwhile, somewhere in Africa, a white person takes pictures of little children, makes promises, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Say nothing of our culture, our priorities, what and who we worship, the pervasiveness of perverse and violent imagery that is truly warping our minds ...

Is all it futile? Probably. But it's my battle. I fight because it's what I consider worth dying for. The parts of Rilke that I read, I remember this (a horrible, bastardized paraphrasing): Writers write because they HAVE to write. They have no choice.

In answer to my earlier post tonight, there IS something wrong with mindless giving, with celebrity marketing, with all this complete and utter bullshit that has nothing to do with anything other than the marketing of a "feel good" effect.

If there's one group that shouldn't sell-out, it's those who are trying to save lives and change the world. Too bad. The path of least resistance is the road most traveled.

My pleasure, my inspiration comes from the crazies, the stupid, the irrational. They change the world. I will leave you with this.


Labels: , , ,


Comments:
i trust apple to make the world a better place.
i feel good when i am surrounded by apple products.
in fact, i AM surrounded by apple products.
the world will be ok.
OK.

Thanks, Steve.

We love you.
 
Um.. Speak for yourself. As John Sculley was my first mentor, I still can't say I love Jobs, despite the resurrection.

Though even Sculley has said of Jobs that he was the only man to be able to resurrect it.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]