Monday, July 02, 2007

A charitable music label

On the train ride I've been surfing a bunch of articles articulating the continued demise of CD sales in the record industry. This is of interest to me for two reasons: 1) My wife is signed to Universal Canada and;
2) I suppose I helped contribute to the demise of record industry during my time at Apple many moons ago.

The latter point is a great story of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

Anyway, I think I've come up with the new business model for the record industry: A charitable music label.

We'll incorporate a new independent label but instead of structuring it as a for-profit, we do it as a registered charity.

We'll distribute the music free and collect donations for our artists. People will reward music they like. Get a tax-receipt and support good music that you like. I think there's something to this.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Plans for a charitable music lable are currently in the works by the Charity Music organization. Charity Music inc is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that provides musical instruments to individuals wishing to explore their hidden musical talents. Additional information can be found at http://www.charitymusic.org
 
Looks like you guys are doing good stuff! Last night, I talked with a friend more about the concept I articulated here and am now even more excited about the idea.
 
wonder what you think of Sellaband.com?
 
Sellaband looks very cool! It's this kind of concept owned within a charity that I'm talking about where the website discovers the talent and seeds an audience.

I think Sellaband might face structural and regulatory issues in terms of dividending profits (it may end up being seen as selling shares) but its a very cool concept and in-line with the charity music label concept for sure.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]