Friday, July 06, 2007

Thank god for musicians?

Musicians are saving the world again. It makes me laugh that Gore & Co are anointing as global ambassadors of the environment the likes of Rhianna whose lyrics to her latest single include:

"Get you where you wanna go, if you know what I mean.
Got a ride that´s smoother than a limousine.
Can you handle the curves, can you run all the lights?
If you can baby boy, than we can go all night."


Don't get me wrong: Rhianna is stunning. She actually looks computer generated. I will admit having actually paid to download her latest single and her music videos are... well... memorable. And while her singing might have me holding on to her every word, if she were to take an interlude to talk about the environment, I'd flip to the next channel.

You get where I'm going.

Live8 was a similar endeavor that brought musicians together in huge concerts to end poverty and rally the G8. Live8 actually had a pretty well-crafted message and yet the G8 members have cynically and callously lied to citizens around the world and not delivered on their much ballyhooed Gleneagles announcement.

aims to "trigger a global movement to solve the climate crisis." First Al Gore "invented the internet" and now he's "invented the global warming movement."

The movement has been strong long before he started giving his slideshow. Don't get me wrong: has done amazing work in expanding the movement.

True, his SOS campaign will likely get a bunch of "contact points" from concert goers, to instigate further action but Make Poverty History has proven that after the "big kickoff", all of those emails with inspiring calls to action don't get acted upon that much.

And of course, I'm not a fan of carbon offsets, and if you want to know why, visit this website. If you don't click on the link (which is a great example of how to use humor and levity to influence change), I'll summarize by saying that I think offsets do nothing to change bad behavior.

The amount of money and emissions that this big kick-off will create is not in the brand image of "a different way" or of "doing things better."

I'm just saying that I think for the guy who invented the internet, he could do better.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]